Who are the Rockets?
The Rockets are a non-profit mountain bike (MTB) club based in southwestern Ontario, Canada with members from Essex and Kent counties and southeastern Michigan, USA. Our organization is a member of the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA).
As a club, we host weekly fun rides, training rides, fun races and hold an 8-hour relay citizen event for charity.
If you are new to the wonderful world of mountainbiking, we offer you the chance to get out riding with people of all skill levels and abilities.
The club consists of riders from beginners just learning the sport to competitive expert races. We have a good mix of men, women and children that all partake in our events.
Every off-road cyclist – from the recreational Sunday rider to the Expert XC racer – will enjoy the benefits of a Rocket membership. Many events planned throughout the year make this much more then just another cycling club.
8 Creekin Hours Recap
Our 8th annual 8 Creekin Hours MTB relay race took place Sept 9th, 2012 at 2 creeks conservation area in Wheatley Ontario.
Racers were treated to a 9.5 km circuit of mostly winding singletrack and mother nature delivered almost perfect weather conditions for race day.
Our 4 hour solo category was won by first time participant Nick Potvin followed by Collin Carnegie in 2nd.
The 8 hour solo divisions were won by Wheatley’s own mountain biking couple of Jim & Melanie Dobson(a la JHK and Heather Irmiger).
The two person male category was won by Adrian Kurus and Ken Burgess.
The two person female division won by the Dirt Diva duo of Stephanie Rhea & Kim Rocheleau.
Woodstock Ontario’s Mad Marcy Dibbley and Andrew Kittmer took top co-ed honors.
The hotly contested 4 person relay categories were won by Unruly Racing with the Dirt Divas Four winning the female category.
- Full results are available below
- Overall Result Summary
- Detailed Summary
Pictures are also posted and available on the right side of the screen. Feel free to browse and download any pictures you like. If you have taken any would like to share, please contact us.
We would like to thank the volunteers who worked very hard on this event as well as maintaining the trails at 2 creeks all year long. The race would not happen without you!
We would also like to thank the local businesses who sponsor our race and provide prizes for the racers. Also thanks to 2 creeks conservation area, the Windsor Bike patrol and WOWMTB for event timing.
Please remember to support your local cycling clubs and bike shops. They need your support to continue these events in the future!
See you next year, always the 1st Sunday after labour day!
UPDATE – 8th Annual 8 Creekin Hours Race
Just over 1-1/2 weeks to the big day! With all the great weather we’e been having lately, the course is in great condition waiting for riders to give it their all.
Register now to reserve your t-shirt. This is limited to the first 50 riders and will go fast!
Chrysler Greenway Update
This past Friday, a team of Alan, Lloyd and Jim with the support of ERCA helped patched a good number of potholes from th McGregor to Harrow Section as well as clear back overhanging branches.
When you’re out riding the trail, think of these guys and the thanks they deserve for getting it safer to ride for cyclists.
Canada South Coast Bike Tour
- 15 km Family Ride begins at 11am at the Schwab Farm Community Entrance and rides roundtrip along the Chrysler Canada Greenway, a safe, off-road trail. Cost is $25/person or $75/family (2 adults and 3 children maximum). No charge for children in bike trailers.
- 42km Intermediate Ride begins at 11am at the Harrow Community Entrance and rides roundtrip along the Chrysler Canada Greenway, a safe, off-road trail. Cost is $25/person or $75/family (2 adults and 3 children maximum). No charge for children in bike trailers.
- 100 km Advanced Road Route begins at the Ciociaro Club of Windsor anytime between 8am – 10am. The route is 106km roundtrip along scenic urban and rural roads. Rest stops with washrooms and snacks are located approximately every 25 kilometres. Maps will be provided and the route will be marked. Cost is $30/rider. Bike trailers are not recommended on the road route.
Ciociaro Club Cycling Classic & BBQ
Celebrate a day of social cycling, racing and food! Enjoy a social ride through the scenic roads of Essex County in the morning, return to the Ciociaro Club for a BBQ Luncheon under the Pavillion. Gather the family post ride for a delicious BBQ and stay to experience an afternoon of high paced racing at the Ciociaro Club Track.
Ciociaro Club & Bike the Bruce Promotions will be hosting the Ontario Cycling Association’s Provincial Criterium Championships. Watch the province’s best of the best compete
for top provincial honours.
- Rides Start at 9am, No Cost
- All levels welcome & no club affiliation required. The ride will be a social paced ride.
- Two routes will be available 60km & 80km, departing from the Ciociaro Club.
- Ride maps will be provided and marked on the roads Ride Leaders will be present with groups.
- BBQ Chicken AND Sausage
- Penne with tomato basil sauce, Garden Salad, Roast Potatoes, Green Beans, Rolls, Tea & Coffee